Substack Notes is a new feature that has been added to the Substack platform, which allows writers to publish short-form content and share ideas with their readers and other writers on the network. It’s a space where writers can post quick updates, links, images, quotes, and comments, and engage with their subscribers. Substack Notes is available on the web and the Substack app, and it’s quick and easy to use.
Substack was founded in 2017 with the aim of making the internet a better place for writers and readers. With Substack Notes, writers can now share their thoughts and ideas in a more informal and conversational way, and connect with their audience on a more personal level. The feature is designed to help writers build a stronger relationship with their subscribers and the wider Substack community, and to encourage more engagement and interaction between writers and readers.
Substack is a platform that allows writers to create and distribute newsletters to their subscribers. It was founded in 2017 with the goal of making the internet a better place for writers and readers. Since then, it has gained popularity among writers who want to monetize their content and connect with their audience.
One of the key features of Substack is its simplicity. Writers can easily set up their newsletters and start publishing content without any technical knowledge. Substack also provides tools for writers to grow their audience and monetize their content, such as the ability to charge for subscriptions or offer paid content.
Another feature that sets Substack apart is its community aspect. Subscribers can interact with writers through comments and writers can also interact with each other through Substack Notes. Notes is a space where writers can publish short-form posts and share ideas with each other and their readers. Through Notes, writers can share posts, links, images, quotes, and comments with their subscribers and the greater Substack network.
Substack Notes: An Overview
Substack Notes is a feature of the Substack platform that allows writers to share quick thoughts and newsletter snippets with the Substack community. It is a space where writers can publish short-form posts and share ideas with each other and their readers. Through Notes, writers can share posts, links, images, quotes, and comments with their subscribers and the greater Substack network.
Unlike traditional long-form posts sent to subscribers via email, Notes are posted directly on the Substack platform, and readers don’t need to sign up for a newsletter to view them. Notes are a great way for writers to engage with their audience on a more casual and frequent basis, and for readers to discover new writers and topics of interest.
Notes can be accessed through the Notes tab on the Substack website or app. Writers can easily publish their first note by visiting the Notes tab and posting their content. Readers can explore the Notes of their favorite writers and discover new content by browsing the Notes tab and subscribing to writers who interest them.
The Importance of Substack Notes
Substack Notes is an essential feature that adds value to the Substack platform. It allows writers to share quick thoughts, links, images, and snippets from their Substack posts with their readers and the Substack community. Unlike long-form posts sent to subscribers via email, Notes are posted directly on the Substack platform, and readers don’t need to sign up for a newsletter to view them.
Notes provide a way for writers to interact with their readers and build a community around their writing. They can use Notes to share updates, ask for feedback, or share interesting links and ideas. Notes are also an excellent way for writers to showcase their writing skills and attract new readers to their newsletter.
Furthermore, Notes help writers to grow their audience and revenue. Notes are lightweight and easy to consume, making them perfect for sharing on social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook. Writers can use Notes to promote their newsletter and attract new subscribers. Substack also allows writers to monetize their Notes by enabling them to include a “Support” button that readers can use to support their work.
How to Use Substack Notes
Substack Notes is a powerful tool that allows writers to connect with their readers in new and exciting ways. In this section, we will walk you through the process of creating, publishing, and managing your Notes on Substack.
To create a new Note on Substack, simply log in to your account and navigate to the Notes tab. From there, click on the orange “+” icon to start writing your Note. You can add text, images, links, and more to your Note to make it as engaging as possible.
Substack Notes also allows you to mention other Substack users by using the “@” symbol followed by their name. This is a great way to give a shoutout to other writers on the platform and build your community.
Once you have finished writing your Note, you can publish it by clicking on the “Publish” button. Your Note will then be sent out to your subscribers, who will be able to read it on the Substack app or website.
If you want to schedule your Note to be published at a later time, you can use the “Schedule” feature to set a specific date and time for it to go live. This is a great way to ensure that your content is released at the optimal time for your audience.
Substack Notes also allows you to manage your existing Notes with ease. You can edit, delete, or archive your Notes at any time by clicking on the three dots next to the Note in question.
You can also view analytics for each of your Notes, including the number of views, likes, and comments. This data can be incredibly valuable in helping you understand what content resonates with your audience and how you can improve your future Notes.
Overall, Substack Notes is a powerful tool that can help you connect with your readers in new and exciting ways. By following the steps outlined in this section, you can start creating engaging Notes that will help you build your community and grow your audience.
Benefits of Using Substack Notes
Substack Notes offers several benefits for writers and readers. Here are some of the key advantages of using Substack Notes:
- Increased Engagement: Substack Notes provides a space for writers to publish short-form posts and share ideas with their readers and other writers. This can help to foster a sense of community and increase engagement among subscribers.
- Improved Discoverability: By using Substack Notes, writers can attract new subscribers and grow their audience by making it easier for their work to reach new readers in the Substack network. Notes are also helpful for creating connections between communities and sparking conversations.
- Ad-Free Platform: Substack generates revenue from subscriptions, which means that the platform is ad-free. This can help to create a more enjoyable reading experience for subscribers.
- Easy to Use: Substack Notes is available on the web and the Substack app, and it is easy to get started. Writers can publish Notes quickly and easily, and readers can access them with just a few clicks.
- Increased Revenue: Substack Notes can help writers to generate more revenue by providing a way to offer exclusive content to subscribers. This can help to attract new subscribers and retain existing ones.
Challenges with Substack Notes
While Substack Notes has been hailed as a new way for writers to connect with their audience, there are still some challenges that need to be addressed. Here are a few of the challenges that users may encounter:
- Limited Formatting Options: One of the biggest challenges with Substack Notes is the limited formatting options. While users can add links and images to their notes, they are limited in terms of font styles, colors, and other formatting options. This can make it difficult for writers to create visually appealing notes that stand out to their readers.
- No Email Notifications: Another challenge with Substack Notes is that subscribers are not notified via email when a new note is posted. While subscribers can see the notes in their Home or Subscribed tabs, they may miss out on important updates if they are not regularly checking their Substack account.
- Limited Monetization Options: While Substack Notes is a great way for writers to connect with their audience, there are limited monetization options available. While writers can charge for subscriptions to their newsletters, there is no way to charge for access to individual notes. This can make it difficult for writers to monetize their content and make a living from their writing.
Case Studies of Successful Substack Notes
Substack Notes has become a popular feature among writers and readers alike. Here are some case studies of successful Substack Notes:
- Dan Blank’s “We Grow Media” – Dan Blank, a marketing and branding consultant for writers, launched his Substack publication “We Grow Media” in 2019. He uses Substack Notes to share bite-sized tips and advice for writers, which has helped him build a loyal following. His notes cover topics such as how to build an author platform, how to pitch to agents, and how to market your book.
- Anne Helen Petersen’s “Culture Study” – Anne Helen Petersen, a former BuzzFeed writer, launched her Substack publication “Culture Study” in 2019. She uses Substack Notes to share her thoughts on pop culture, politics, and society. Her notes are often personal and reflective, which has helped her connect with her readers on a deeper level.
- Judd Legum’s “Popular Information” – Judd Legum, a former editor-in-chief of ThinkProgress, launched his Substack publication “Popular Information” in 2018. He uses Substack Notes to share his investigative journalism on topics such as campaign finance, lobbying, and corruption. His notes are often data-driven and include links to primary sources, which has helped him build credibility with his readers.
By sharing short-form content on a regular basis, writers can build a loyal following and establish themselves as thought leaders in their respective fields.
Future of Substack Notes
Substack Notes has been a hit since its launch in April 2023. The feature has been praised for its simplicity and ease of use. Going forward, Substack plans to improve Notes by adding more features and customization options.
One of the most requested features is the ability to edit and delete Notes after they’ve been published. This is currently not possible, but Substack is working on implementing this feature. Additionally, users have requested the ability to schedule Notes for future publication. This feature would allow writers to plan their content in advance and ensure a consistent publishing schedule.
Substack is also exploring the possibility of adding more social features to Notes. Currently, users can like and comment on Notes, but there’s no way to share them outside of Substack. Some users have requested the ability to share Notes on social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook. Substack is considering this feature but has yet to make a final decision.
Substack has not just been a platform for me, it’s been a launching pad into the world of independent publishing. If you’re a writer looking for a tool to connect with your audience, to share your insights, and to monetize your passion, I cannot recommend Substack enough. It’s truly a writer’s best friend in the digital age.
I hope you found this guide on Substack Notes, useful! If you want to learn more about creating, scaling, and monetizing a Substack newsletter, check out the free content on our blog! If you are still in need of more detailed strategies for making money with Substack, you can also check out my Substack course.